AHRO Masterclass in Perioperative Nursing Care
Time limit: 90 days
Spots remaining: 20
Full course description
- After taking part in this course, the learners should be able to:
- demonstrate advanced knowledge of nursing assessment and preparation of clients undergoing surgery.
- apply high levels of decision making and problem solving as circulating or scrubbing nurse
- demonstrate advanced skills in applying the principles of asepsis in operating room
- use critical thinking skills during interventions of intraoperative phase.
- demonstrate advanced skills in management of surgical wound
- adopt high level communication skills as cornerstone in therapeutic relationships.
COURSE DISTRIBUTION IN HOURS
- Total course duration - 3 months = 12 weeks
- Theory - 3 hours per week for 3 days = 9 hours x 12 weeks = 108 hours
- Self-Directed Learning (SDL) - 8 hours per week for 12 weeks = 96 hours
- Total = 108 + 96 = 204 hours.
Module 1: Pre-operative Nursing care
- Introduction to anaesthesia and resuscitation
- Preoperative nursing assessment
- Preoperative preparation Preoperative teaching
- Common preoperative nursing procedures
Module 2: Intraoperative nursing care
- Roles of the circulating and scrubbing nurse
- Position for different operations
- Principles of asepsis in operating room
- Management of operating theatre materials
- Interventions during intraoperative phase
Module 3: Current Evidence Based Practice in Postoperative nursing care
- Post-anesthesia care unit admission
- Immediate postoperative nursing assessment
- Management of common postoperative complications
- Management of surgical wound Preventing surgical sites infections
Module 4: Application of therapeutic communication skills in perioperative nursing techniques
- Techniques to improve listening skills in perioperative nursing techniques
- Techniques to improve talking in perioperative nursing techniques
Graduates from any of the medical or nursing professions - post registration.
TEACHING LEARNING METHODS
Interactive lectures conducted online (virtual learning environment) and on-site, problem-solving, and case-based approaches to learning. Course materials include lecture notes, PowerPoint presentation slides, and other relevant materials applicable to the course/ module.
The course will be assessed using the table below:
- Formative Assessment 30%
- Summative Assessment 60%
- Attendance 10%
AWARDS Upon completion of the course, successful learners will be awarded with a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) certificate, provided they have passed their formative assessment at 50% and summative assessments at 50%, with 90% attendance in all the course activities.