Full course description
The purpose of this course is to prepare the learners to professionally provide advanced care for clients diagnosed as having clean or infected wound. The learners will apply high levels of decision-making, problem-solving and critical thinking concepts to contribute to health promotion, disease prevention, disease treatment and client rehabilitation.
After taking part in this course, the learners should be able to:
- demonstrate advanced knowledge of skin integrity and wound healing.
- apply high levels of decision-making and problem-solving in wound care.
- demonstrate advanced skills in applying different sterile dressings.
- use critical thinking skills in application of different types of bandages.
- demonstrate advanced skills in techniques of wound debridement
- use high level communication skills as cornerstone in therapeutic relationships
COURSE DISTRIBUTION IN HOURS
- Total course duration - 3 months = 12 weeks
- Theory - 3 hours per week for 3 days = 9 hours x 12 weeks = 108 hours
- Self-Directed Learning (SDL) - 8 hours per week for 12 weeks = 96 hours
- Total = 108 + 96 = 204 hours
Module 1: Current Evidence Based Practice in wound care
- Review of steps of nursing procedure and nursing care plan
- Wound Assessment
- Dry Sterile Dressing
- Wet Sterile Dressing
Module 2: Debridement
- Indications of debridement
- Techniques of wound debridement
- Complications of debridement
Module 3: Bandages
- Definition of terms and principles of bandaging
- Types of bandaging
- Indications and contra indications
- Techniques of bandaging
Module 4: Application of therapeutic communication skills in wound care
- Techniques to improve listening skills in wound care
- Techniques to improve talking skills care
Graduates from any of the medical or nursing professions - post registration.
TEACHING LEARNING METHODS
Interactive lectures conducted online (virtual learning environment) and on-site, problemsolving, and case-based approaches to learning. Course materials include lecture notes, PowerPoint presentation slides, and other relevant materials applicable to the course/ module.
The course will be assessed using the table below:
- Formative Assessment 30%
- Summative Assessment 60%
- Attendance 10%
Upon completion of the course, successful learners will be awarded with a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) certificate, provided they have passed their formative assessment at 50% and summative assessments at 50%, with 90% attendance in all the course activities.