Postgraduate Diploma in Mental Health Nursing
Time limit: 730 days
Full course description
This course is for qualified nurses and midwives with interest in mental health. It would equip participants with the necessary skills to critically analyze current literature and discuss current issues and communicate a unique understanding of key topics related to mental health nursing
After the course, student should be able:
· Discuss issues on global mental health nursing ( such stress, anxiety, depression, psychosis, drug abuse, and dementia)
· Develop and implement programs/policies to address the mental health burden
· Develop skills essential for critical understanding of mental health nursing
· Explore an understanding of current issues and research at the forefront of mental health nursing
- Professional nursing practice ( 30 credits)
- Evidence-based mental nursing (30 credits)
- Principles of prescribing (15 credits)
- Managing changes across health and social care ( 15 credits)
- 3 practicals
- Foundation of nursing ( 10 credits)
- Building skills for patient-centered care practice ( 10 credits)
- Advanced knowledge and skills ( Student would pick one of the following themes: Community Psychiatric Nursing, Forensic Mental Health Nursing, Mental Practice Development Nursing, Emergency Mental Health) ( 10 credits)
NB: Students should pass every module; there is no option to choose from. Those who want to complete with MSc would take a dissertation module. (Credit: 120 credits for PG Diploma and 180 for MSc).
Interactive Lectures conducted online, Problem-solving exercise and case-based learning through a VLE platform. Course materials, including lecture notes and Power Point presentation, and other programme materials will be provided electronically.
Formative and Summative assessment. Learners would provide feedback via 1000 word written essay after each module and a 4000 written summative essay.
Graduates with professional training in nursing, dentistry, life sciences, veterinary medicine, etc with at least a bachelor degree in science and one year experience or previous training in field of public health